28 May 2021
Call for entries - Falkirk Wheel
YEAR OF COASTS AND WATER 2021
1ST – 29TH AUGUST 2021
Submission due: 5pm 7 June 2021.
Falkirk Community Trust and Scottish Canals are looking for submissions for creative work to feature in the month long, activity trail in celebration of the Year of Coasts and Water 2021.
This is a one-off activity trail celebrating the history and heritage of our waterways. The activity trail takes place from 1st August to the 29th August 2021 along the 4 mile stretch of the Forth & Clyde Canal between the Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies.
A celebration of the Forth & Clyde Canal will be brought to life through a self-led activity trail blending the real and the virtual together. The canal will be adorned interactive sound and visual installations, with information points, photo spots, playnetic installations and an engaging digital programme.
We are looking to commission a piece of art for the basin of the Falkirk Wheel which highlights the ever-pressing issue of climate change. Taking inspiration from Scotland’s journey to net zero. We are looking to commission a piece of art for the basin of the Falkirk Wheel which highlights the ever-pressing issue of climate change and the value of our waterways. The successful piece will highlight common threats to our environment while inspiring viewers to protect and conserve our waterways.
We are looking for work that:
- Is large scale
- Inspires viewers to conserve nature and our waterways
- Uses recycled material (optional)
- Is interactive (optional)
- Combines sound and visual arts (optional)
- The pieces need to be able to sit in location for 1 month
- The pieces need to be resistant to vandalism
- We welcome applications with visual art and/or sound elements
- Installation can be interactive.
- The installation can be on land or water.
- We will work with the successful applicant to find the best location.
- All pieces must be self-contained for installation and de-rig, there will be some technical support provided.
- The activity trail is outside so power is limited, if you need power, please include this detail in your proposal. There is a small budget for generators.
- The activity trail is for families and installations need to be suitable for all ages
- Installations must be able to withstand outdoor weather
- Successful applicants will be required to provide images for marketing
- Successful applicants to be willing to participate in press calls if required
- We are looking for proposals between £6,000 and £7,000. The final fee will be negotiated and the proposal should include an accurate budget including fees, materials, install and de-rig and management. All expenses will be covered by the fee.
In your proposal please:
- Clearly explain what the piece entails
- Pictures and diagrams are welcome
- Include a clear budget
- Include a plan to build w/c 26th July 2021 and de-rig on the 30th August 2021.
- Include a risk assessment and a copy of your public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million
- Please submit your proposal by 17:00 Wednesday 9th June 2021
- Shortlisting will take place the same week and successful proposals will be contacted by the 11th June 2021.
- Please send your proposal to Anna Plant, Senior Events Officer firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on Wednesday 9th June 2021
- If you have any questions please email Anna on the email address above or call 07515 331 668.